How To Get Yourself To Be Productive When You ‘Don’t Feel Like It’
Happy Sunday Coach,
I got this question from a private client this week.
“How do you get yourself to be productive when you ‘don’t feel like it’?”
In my experience, those days where you just don’t feel ‘it’, getting things done is a drag…
One solution is to just discipline yourself and go through the motions, but this isn’t the most enjoyable state to live in.
Besides, willpower is a limited resource that gets weaker as the day progresses.
(This is pretty much hardwired into the human biology.)
Therefore, it often results in beating ourselves up over the fact that we’re ‘lazy’ or ‘not disciplined’.
To me, a much more effective method to overcome procrastination is to change your mental state, so you feel a ‘pull’ towards taking action.
Instead of just trying to willpower your way through your to-do list, could your perform certain rituals that get you hyped up, so you are in a ‘peak’ mental state.
From this elevated mindset, you won’t feel like procrastinating anymore…
Instead, you will feel inspired and motivated to pursue your goals and tackle to-dos.
A few ways that I get myself into a ‘peak’ state of mind are:
- Reminding myself of my long-term goals and dream life
- Focusing on the ‘rewards’ of completing the task instead of the ‘effort’ it will take me
- Moving my body by walking my dogs or by getting to the gym (when you generate physical energy, you automatically generate mental energy)
- Making a cup of coffee (I mean, what can’t be solved with a good cup of coffee?)
- Listening to motivating or energizing music
Now, these are just a few ways I get myself into a peak mental state…
I’d love to hear what yours are. Just hit reply to this email to share what yours are.
To Your Success,